Thursday, April 5, 2018

Marketing Week 1


About Me

I enrolled in Principles of Marketing to learn more about what the best way to conduct business will be as an accountant. I am majoring in Accounting Technology and am looking forward to learning about consumer behavior the most. Outside of school I work at a local liquor store and am a mom to a beautiful baby girl and a step mom to a wonderful little boy. I don't get a whole lot of free time between work and school but what little bit I do get I spend with my family and I like to go to concerts for local bands/artists every now and then.

Marketing in the News
Revealed: Facebook scans what you send other people on Messenger
I chose this article because Facebook Messenger is one of the primary choices of contact that my significant other and I use. Facebook has automated systems that scan messages for community standard abuse. Private information from approximately 50 million users was somehow given to Cambridge Analytica.  Facebook is now having to do damage control for not being transparent enough about their privacy policies. Facebook is a social media platform to connect you with the people around you. This article mainly discussed crisis management, Facebook needs to put more effort into privacy protection. Facebook needs to find a way to know when something illegal, such as child exploitation, is going on without comprising the protection of user’s private information. Zuckerberg had to agree to testify in front of the House, and is having to hold a conference call to adjust privacy policies. What is unique about this is that not only is he dealing with the issue internally, he will be doing multiple kinds of external tasks to fix the situation. If I was the brand manager, I would have made a public apology with a promise to fix the issue as soon as possible, I would have called Cambridge Analytica and asked them to destroy the information they had received, and then I would have done what Zuckerberg has agreed to do. In my opinion, the approach they used was only somewhat acceptable. They do need to fix the issues and begin to be more transparent of their policies, but they could have done more. This article has taught me that even some of the most popular companies do not do everything that they should to be ethical and fair to the community.

Article link: http://adage.com/article/digital/facebook-scans-send-people-messenger-app/312984/
Company link: https://www.facebook.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment